May 31, 2013

Friday Favorites: Best Banana Coconut Bread



 I have been a bit obsessed with this lately.
As in, I've made a batch a week for the past month. I am still not sick of it. 
This is the best banana bread recipe I have found. 
Not too sweet, hearty from the wheat flour, but not too heavy. 
A bit of a tropical taste with the coconut flakes, and of course gooey goodness of chocolate chips. 
Slab a big ol' chunk of butter on this bread and you will be drooling. 
John sure was drooling as he patiently waited for me to take these photos he said;
 "Ahhh all the steam is leaving. You are wasting that 'right out of the oven warmth' for some photos"
He finally got his bread, it was still nice and warm. 
Ingredients
8 tablespoons butter (plus some for greasing the pan)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar ( I actually used a little less than 3/4 cup this time and I like it better)
2 eggs
3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork until smooth
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup grated dried unsweetened coconut (my favorite addition)
1/2 cup chocolate chips ( my hubs favorite addition)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
Mix together the dry ingredients. Cream the butter and beat in the eggs and bananas.
Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients; do not mix more than necessary.
Gently stir in the vanilla, nuts, and coconut.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until nicely browned. A toothpick inserted in the center of the bread will come out fairly clean, but banana bread is excessively moist compared to other breads. Do not overcook. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. To store, wrap in waxed paper.




 



3 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds AMAZING! Totally making it (and my hubs will think he died and gone to heaven if I bust this out for him, ha ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to make this next week! Yum! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete