July 6, 2010

Yake Pow

This sounds so cliche', but I seriously can't believe how fast the summer is going by. John and I have been really enjoying our summer in DC. We have so many experiences to write about and remember. I first need to post about our trip to Lake Powell, or "Yake Pow" (as Kimball says it). Every night he would look up at me and say, "I yike it at Yake Powell".


John had to be in DC before we left, so he wasn't able to come with us. We missed him so dang much! It was a wonderful trip and I can't wait until next time when he can join us.


When I think of Lake Powell, I think of calmness, beauty, peace, heaven, sunshine, laughter, music, twinkling stars, warm sand, glistening water, delicious food, love, and of course joy!
We all rode together............... Yes, in one car!
All 7 adults, one car seat, and a weeks worth of luggage and Lake Powell gear.

This picture definitely doesn't show the extent of our crowded-ness (new word to describe this crammed condition). Bags were shoved in every corner possible. In between our legs, on the roof, on the wave runner trailor, under the seat, in the windows, it was 100% full!!


Although my legs were asleep about half the day, the road trip was so much fun! I wouldn't have had it any other way. Being in the car together for hours = good times! I do love the road trip!!





This picture just cracks me up!
12:00 a.m. Page Arizona. Wal-Mart. Enough said.


Shopping for a weeks worth of food on the lake is quite the task!

Kimball absolutely loves his "road runner" rides. He also enjoyed spraying all of us with these squirt guns all week. Thanks to Grandpa for buying them, I got sprayed 5 times a day!
I couldn't help but laugh every time, he would get right up close, very stealth, and then just spray it right in my face!! Too funny!












There's nothing more gorgeous than the nightscape at Lake Powell. The sun setting behind the rocks is unreal.

Yes, I own a snuggie. Don't judge! And yes, I took it to Lake Powell.
Not going to lie, it came in quite handy at night. I could eat dinner, dance, and hang out, all while being snug as a bug, warm, just like the commercials ha ha.



Love this.


I can't get over the backdrop in this picture. The red rocks against the blue sky and water, it almost looks fake.


Buddies


Frog and "yizzard" catching










Don't these just make you smile?
Oh the life...........


Beautiful

You have no idea how happy I am that we got a picture of this. He is constantly teasing and making fun of Oprah, and look at what we caught him reading! This is priceless.

Nightly Dance Parties on the roof!



Party lights, check. Rolling Stones tunes, check. Good company, check. DANCE PARTY, check!





We decided to be adventurous and took a full day trip to Face Canyon. An adventure it was!! We hiked through mud up to our knees and crossed these nasty swamp lands. As you can tell by our faces in this picture, the ladies were not to "thrilled" to cross a waist deep swamped, river, but we DID IT! Ahhhh, I can only imagine the creatures that we somehow dodged...........
We were very brave.



We hiked a rather large mountain, covered in loose sand.....
Ok, I admit I am making this adventure sound pretty hairy, but it was. It was definitely worth it though, waterfall and all.


We call this "The Album Cover"
Doesn't it look like one of those cheesy, sporatic but really posed album covers?

The beautiful canyon. Landon wake boarding right onto the beach


The mariners, navigating for us!




I have no explanation.
Landon was taking pictures of us jumping off the boat, and he caught this stellar shot.
We were laughing at it for hours. Seriously, what the?


Derby's back flip. Landon is good at capturing the action.


I love this sight.

I am so grateful for the time we get to spend at Lake Powell. My dad has a shirt that says
"Lake Powell, like no place on earth".
That's exactly how I feel. There's no place like it. It is the most beautiful, fascinating, calming place.

I will always remember waking up to the beautiful sun rising on the water, and falling asleep to the moon glistening on the same water. The feeling of being away from the world, away from the phones, the cars, etc. The calm feeling I get when I look out onto the lake and see for miles and miles. The laughter in the air. The jokes and giggles. Listening to the Eagles, as we lay out. Dancing in the moonlight. Being with the people I love the most. I will cherish these memories forever.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. What a fun time for all of you!
    Love you all,

    Gayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blakely! You are darling! I love reading you're blog! Hope you're having a good summer in DC! ;)

    ReplyDelete