July 1, 2011

Merriment in the countryside

"A call for Merriment" is what the beautiful, bird embossed invitation read..... and so it was.
We celebrated the marriage of our best friends in true Virginia style. Never ending countryside, hats, pianos, homemade mac-n-cheese, and horses, we spent a weekend rejoicing for these two, and rejoicing in love itself. Cliche' as it may sound, Virginia IS for lovers.


The Virginia Gold Cup.
The hat. One of my dreams in life was to attend a horse race, wearing a hat of course.
It finally came true. It almost didn't though.... when I was up at two a.m. in the warm corner of a country home, using a cell phone for light, I thought for a minute that my hat would not turn out to be 'the hat'; the hat I envisioned, fit for a dream. Sweet John helped my pin, tie, glue, twist, and smile as I created my favorite hat for the event. (I did have about 2 months notice before the race, but it just wouldn't be me if I didn't put it off to the last minute.) Thanks to my bow obsession, and extremely crafty husband, the hat was finished and just as I had envisioned.


Bets are on.

The view from up here is quite good for watching a horse race. Actually I'm pretty sure it would be a good view for any event. I was a bit jealous of the view John has.
A view that I had to climb on top a chair (in heels) to attain.
A beautiful day with friends.

As they danced, the words swirled around the big white tent, gently bouncing from light to light, adding a bit of shimmer to the night.
"The book of love has music in it
In fact that's where music comes from"- Peter Gabriel (Originally done by, The Monotones)

Twirling barefoot, we danced the night away.
I couldn't be more grateful for such friends, a weekend in the Virginia country, meeting families, true southern hospitality, and laughs to last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment